Saturday, January 23, 2016

First Post

First Post

Hey all, this is my first post. The purpose for this blog is to serve as an outlet for my scientific interests, and to document some of my thoughts on a variety of subjects. An engineer by training, I plan on focusing on quantitative calculations and analyses of things of little importance. I'll apply my skills in statistics, programming, data analysis, electronics and instrumentation, etc. to anything and everything! 

I thought that I would share a bit about myself and my scientific background.



I'm a PhD, chemical engineering, currently working in R&D for the oil and gas industry. 

Quickly, I'll detail a bit about my research from my PhD. I studied thermoelectric materials with Jeff Snyder (who recently transferred to a professor position at Northwestern University). My PhD focused on improving thermoelectric materials, which convert waste heat into electricity. These solid-state devices perform these conversions with no moving parts, and provide reliable transformation for decades at a time. As a result, these materials are often used in conjunction with nuclear power sources for space missions, basically creating a nuclear battery (known as a radioisotope thermoelectric generator, RTG).

Looking forward to it!
Zach






No comments:

Post a Comment